This end of the year survey is hosted by
Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner
and now running the 4th year in a row. You fill out the survey and link up with the others to compare your highlights of the year.
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
I had a few very awesome reads this year! Not enough to split by genre, but definitvely more then one to mention, so here's the top 3:
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book?
Fifty Shades Freed by E L James, because I thought a third bok added later wouldn't fit well on two that really belonged together in the first place, but it surprised me by reading just like the first two.
And Blood Red Road by Moira Young, because I struggled with the accent writing, but once I got the hang of it, it turned out to be an awesome story!
4. Book you recommended the most after reading it in 2013?
5. Best Series discoverd?
6. Favorite New Author discovered?
I read almost 50 new authors this year, and alot left an impression on me.
Ednah Walters, Jen Minkman, Kate Evangelista, Jennifer Rush, Moira Young... and that's not all of them.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or a new genre?
8. Most thrilling or unputdownable
I'm not someone who is easily glued to the pages, but The Guardian by Emma Silver did a pretty good job at that, I definitvely recommend the Blackbrooke Trilogy to thrill seekers!
9. 2013 book you are most likely to re-read next year?
10. Favorite Cover
This year there was no cover that outdid all others, but I have a very solid top three which I will present:
11. Most memorable character
Oh, this isn't fair. So many! It's hard to chose, so I'm narrowing it down to Adult, since there's too many for YA, and I'm coming up with Caden Grayson from Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye (yes, the hottie on the cover above!).
12. Most beautifully written book
I read a lot of books which were beautifully written, but only one really impressed me because the style was very difficult, not beautiful. Blood Red Road by Moira Young is written completely in a dialect, and not to slip up with something like that... the sheer idea, even!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you?
I'm not that easily impressed, and I can't really say that any book this year has left a real mark on me. However, the book with the most potential to do so was Sia by Josh Grayson.
14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read it?
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting. I can't really remember why I was pushing this around on my pile for so long, gosh!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote of the year?
Uhh... I didn't really keep track of quotes this year. I think I should be more vigilant on that matter again in 2014. A last minute new reslution, so to speak. ^^ But I found this on my kindle, and it's from the end of Hopless by Colleen Hoover which I read this year but waited too long to review (maybe gonna read again next year):
"We wrap our arms around each other and we cry. We cry mother to daughter. We cry aunt to nice. We cry victim to victim. We cry survivor to survivor."
16. Shortest and Longes Book
Shortest I'm gonna sit down later and rush through it a little: An Ice Princess Heart by Alivia Anders which is a novella with only 44 pages.
Longest was Fifty Shades Freed by E L James according to the Goodreads Overview.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
(a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
I usually "have to" share some funny moments because when I roll over on the sofa laughing, my boyfriend always wants to know why. But while they are very shareable as I read them, and then I want to talk about them, even just to myself or my cats, and sure can't remember one of them now. But I had them, I know that, and plenty! I'll remember that question for the next year survey...
18. Favorite Relationship
There were some, and I always love me a good pairing that doesn't alwys involve a third party conflict, but my favorite of the year is Savannah Dubrinsky and Gregori "The Dark One" Daratrazanoff out of Dark Magic from the Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan.
19. Favorite book from an author you already knew
- Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
- Shudder by Samantha Durante
- The Guardian by Emma Silver
- Meant For Her by Raine Thomas
20. Best book read SOLELY on a recommendation
The Dark Duet by C.J. Roberts
21. Genre You Read Most?
I didn't count, but I think Adult Smut came out on top of YA this year.
22. Newest fictional crush
Torin St. James from the Runes series by Ednah Walters, but also Cole St. Clair form The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater, and the four boys from Altered by Jennifer Rush were hot, too.
23. Best 2013 Debut
24. Most vivid world
Blood Red Road by Moira Young and The Island by Jen Minkman
25. Book that was the most fun to read
There's nothing more hilrious than a Stephanie Plum novel -- and I just finished Lean Mean Thirteen.
26. Book that made you (nearly) cry
Flawed by Kate Avelynn
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Shudder by Samantha Durante
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Dark Wolf by Christine Feehan is coming out just next week, but I've been waiting for this in forever! City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare is set for May.
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
None I'm really dying to get my hands on.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Several! Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi, Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers, City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare but most of all, Stuck by Samantha Durante.