Series: the immortals 3
Debut: November 17, 2009
Ever and Damen have traveled through countless past lives—and fought off the world’s darkest enemies—so they could be together forever. But just when their long-awaited destiny is finally within reach, a powerful curse falls upon Damen…one that could destroy everything. Now a single touch of their hands or a soft brush of their lips could mean sudden death—plunging Damen into the Shadowland. Desperate to break the curse and save Damen, Ever immerses herself in magick—and gets help from an unexpected source…a surfer named Jude.
Although she and Jude have only just met, he feels startlingly familiar. Despite her fierce loyalty to Damen, Ever is drawn to Jude, a green-eyed golden boy with magical talents and a mysterious past. She’s always believed Damen to be her soulmate and one true love—and she still believes it to be true. But as Damen pulls away to save them, Ever’s connection with Jude grows stronger—and tests her love for Damen like never before…
Rogue Chronicles Entry No. 14
Same old, same old. Ever is freaking out over all and nothing, Damen is being a jerk, albeit a reasonable one, Roman is the master antagonist, kinda evil personified... jep, all's still in place. Now for the new developments:
1. Rayne and Romy. They are banned from the Summerland because they (temporary) lost their magic, and lacking of a place to stay and people to trust, they end up as Damen's wards. I believe he enjoys that as much as Ever hates it, which I can sort of understand, but I still think she's way too possessive and over-the-top jealous and impulsive. However, I like it that the twins play more of a part, I'm curious if they get another key role to play later on.
2. Jude, the 'nephew' of Lilian from Mystics and Moonbeams. I like him as a new character, he's smart and sweet and not as shoe licking as Damen. I also think it's interesting that he might be Ever's actual soul mate as close as they've always been in all their previous lives, BUT ... I can't stomach the love triangle. I mean isn't it enough that Roman is hitting on her already, although for entirely different and way more disgusting reasons? And -- oh the innovativeness of it! -- he turns out not simply re-incarnated, but being a rogue immortal as well. Please. It would've been tons more interesting if he were merely there as an actual option, but like this there's no way Ever would even consider him. L.A.M.E.
3. The evil spell. Yeah, Ever was being her impulsive, stupid self casting a spell that was meant to make Roman hand over the antidote by binding their minds together. Sad as it is, it doesn't only seem ineffective for the moment (which means it'll come bite her in the ass in the future), but was acutally woven with the help of dark instead of good forces, because someone made rash decisions once again. Evidently trying to keep it going and interesting by all means. Might turn out not half bad, but let's wait and see.
4. Haven as an immortal. That was definitvely an awefully awesome move from Roman. You have to give his evil mastermind credit, no arguing that. To corner Ever like that... okay, it was obious how it'd turn out, but I think it'll prove interesting to have an independent mind like Haven's to hold still, keep it low, and whatnot. She might just turn out as Roman, that'd be awesome. But I'm specualting! We'll have to see how that goes.
5. Ava is back. Well, there really wasn't much else than her re-appearance at the end of the book, but I'm definitively as interested as Ever in the explanation she'll have to spew up for her disappearance.
As you see, I'm still annoyed with our main couple, which has still developed no depth whatsoever, but plotwise it's just twisted enough to keep you interested in reading on.
Area Scan: Style: 2/5 -- Plot: 3.5/5 -- Characters: 3/5 -- Romance: 2/5 -- Suspense: 3/5 -- Drama: 4/5 -- Fantasy: 3/5