Blurb: From the moment Kylie Galen arrived at Shadow Falls Camp, she’s had one burning question: What am I? Surrounded by vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, fairies and witches, Kylie longs to figure out her own supernatural identity…and what her burgeoning powers mean. And now she’ll need them more than ever, because she’s being haunted by a new spirit who insists that someone Kylie knows—and loves—will die before the end of the summer. If only she only knew who she was supposed to save. And how…
But giving Kylie the most trouble is her aching heart. Gorgeous werewolf Lucas left camp with another girl, but he’s still visiting Kylie in her dreams. And Derek, a sexy half Fae who’s always been there for her when she needed him, is pushing to get more serious—and growing impatient, especially when Lucas returns. Kylie knows she needs to decide between the boys, and it’s tearing her up inside.
Yet romance will have to wait, because something from the dark side of the supernatural world is hiding in Shadow Falls. It’s about to threaten everything she holds dear…and bring her closer to her destiny.
Klick on "Read More" for the Happily Ever Ending Summary. Careful: SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't read the book yet!!
As usual, this has one solid plot string, onther that comes up to snap your neck, and a lot of tears and drama.
Let's start with plot string one: the ghost. It's the first gift Kylie received as a supernatural being, so of course it'd be the main element. Kylie is always awoken plus met from time to time by the ghost of a woman who looks oodly familiar and tells her that if Kylie doesn't stop it, what happened to her will happen to someone she loves. But not more than that -- how unnerving, right? Almost at the end, she discovers that her old best friend Sara is suffering from Cancer, just like her grandmother -- who'd been visiting Kylie. But the granny knows about Kylie's new healing gift, telling her to use it and safe her friend, and she does!
Part two, the drama.
1) Holiday and Burnett do get a little closer, but of course not quite there yet. Kylie tells him that Holidays had been burned badly by a vamp before.
2) Miranda had the hots for shapeshifter Perry, but he didn't seem to notice her. Then another shapeshifter, Kevin, comes along and steals a kiss from Miranda. Perry, mule-headed as his is, blames it on Miranda who he already thought of as his, keeps others away with glares, but still turns her back on the with instead of finally going out with her for real (hopefully only for now).
3) Lukas and Derek, oh boy. Derek finally stops trying to push Kylie when he learns that Lucas is coming back, telling her that she only should come back be with him if she'd finally made up her mind, and has no more guilty feelings and/or attractions for the werewolf. Lukas, on the other hand, would advance on Kylie, although not tooo pushy (which is very nice), wanting to chance her mind although she'd chosen Derek, even if Derek hadn't chosen her. Then Lukas is almost killed helping to save Kylies life, so now the two guys are even on the score again, and Kylie pissed with Derek and thankful to Lukas, is undecided again.
4) Della feared she'd killed people during her transformation, but she does the testing with the FRU and it turns out she's innocent. On the other hand, they believe the killer to be her cousin Chan, and she's now to go undercover (probably in the next book) to find out.
5) Kylie's body is changing and she's gaining more gifts. Thoughout the book, her boobs and hair grow, and she gets an inch taller. She develops speed and strength, as well as super-sensitive hearing. First, they think she'd turn vamp, then were. When she finally can see brain patters, and in return be read at least on the surface -- her pattern is always changing, unique. She also finds out that her Lukas dreams aren't normal dreams, because she can dreamscape -- actually dive into dreams and control them. Last but not least, the receives the gift of healing.
All of which make her a protector, as the penny finally drops with Holiday at the very end of the book. However, I think a protector is still suppossed to be only one species, so her weird brain pattern remains unsolved, but not her gifts match a job descrption. A protector is very rare, Burnett said he'd only met one other in his life.
Last, the second plot coming up to snap your neck: Kylie is kidnapped by the rogue vampire who'd killed girls in Fallen recently and belonged to the group who'd attacked her in book one. He's obsessed with her, follows her (however only felt, but never discovered), and although the Vampire Council is supposed to "deal with him", his grandpa is one of them -- and more than vampire, too. He wants them to marry and reproduce, founding the strongest bloodline ever in existence, under is rule, of course. Kylie is saved by telling Lukas her location and a dreamscape-dream, so that the FRU can bring the atillery. However, both damn vamps manage to evade them and flee.
The very last bummer was that Kylie's mom refuses to sign her up for boarding school in Shadow Falls in the fall. We'll see how that turns out in the next installment.